Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Year Of Trying New Things

I've done pretty good with my healthier eating, and I'm very proud to report that there is a new healthy food that I will eat: cottage cheese.  I grew up in a house full of cottage cheese eaters, but I could never bring myself to try it.  It always looked very appetizing and at times, pretty, when Mom or Grandma would cut a tomato into quarters and put the cottage cheese in the middle.  No matter how appetizing it looked, I could never try it.  That is until a couple of weeks ago.  I was determined to make myself eat cottage cheese.  The first spoonful wasn't that bad; in fact, it tasted pretty good.  As much as I love cheese, I can't believe that I never would make myself try cottage cheese before now.  Anyhoo, I'm eating it now and I guess that's the important part.

I've discovered new and innovative ways to eat cottage cheese.  My first discovery was mixing some chunky salsa with the cottage cheese.  If you try this, be sure to drain as much of the juice from the salsa as possible or else the cottage cheese will be runny.  And if there's one thing I can't stand, it's runny cottage cheese.  Another new way I eat cottage cheese is mixed with my veggie dip.  It rocks, especially when I mix it with my favorite Krogers Special Recipe Spinach Dip.  I highly recommend it. 

One cottage cheese item I don't recommend are the combo packs with cottage cheese on one side and alleged fruit on the other side.  I tried a pineapple one and a strawberry one and I'm glad I only paid a dollar for them.  The fruit wasn't fruit like in fruit cocktail - it was fruit topping like you'd put on a banana split.  I just left the fruit in its side of the container and ate the cottage cheese plain.  So try them if you want, but you've been warned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only eat cottage cheese plain!
I like the little single servings.

~~~Make it a Great Day~~~
Sharon
http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor/


Anonymous said...

Puddin, thought of you last night.  Had several "mullet" sightings at the Charles Town Slots and Raceway, LOL.  I think I counted five of them!