Tuesday, March 4, 2008

More Non-Words Overheard At Work

In case you didn't know, today is Grammar Day.  What a better way to celebrate then with another edition of More Non-Words Overheard At Work.

1. Drawling - not as slurring your R's with a Southern accent. "I go to the VFW every Tuesday night for the jackpot drawling."

2.  Pop-A-Level Road - used in place of the correct pronounciation of Poplar Level Road. 

3.  Chester Drawers - not a character on Hee-Haw.  "I keep some cash hidden in my chester drawers." 

4.  Chimlee - "The smoke was rolling out their chimlee."

5.  Prostrate - not a Biblical term for lying on the floor in a humble state.  "Every man ought to go have his prostrate checked."

6.  Calvary - not the hill in Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified.  "I love to watch those old movies where the calvary would fight off an Indian attack at the fort.

7.  Northrupp - a former Congresswoman that represented Kentucky; used in place of the correct pronounciation Northup.  "I heard Anne Northrupp is going to run for Congress again."

8. Sherbert - "There's nothing better than punch made from orange sherbert."

9. Valentime - "I heard he broke up with his girlfriend on Valentime's Day."

10.  Liberry - a building that houses books. "I need to get a new liberry card."

No comments: