Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Great Day In The 'Hood

This was the day our 'hood has been waiting for for almost a year: our new Super WalMart opened this morning.  In addition, less than two miles away, a WalMart Neighborhood Market opened this morning.  What a great day this was for us folks here in the 'Ridge. 

I'm excited because the Super WalMart is on my way to work; in fact, it's just about two miles from The Compound.  So if I was feeling adventurous, I could walk there.  But then I'd have to lug my bags of groceries nad stuff home.  Of course, I could air up the tires on my almost-new bicycle and put a basket on it and tote my stuff home that way.  But I digress.  Not only do we have a new Super WalMart in our 'hood, the store is part of a pretty good sized shopping center that will have a Sonic drive-in.  We're waiting for the token sandwich shop, Chinese buffet and check cashing place to open in the strip mall; the nail salon, discount shoe store and video game store have already opened.

Other than local convenience stores, a grocery store, a Rite-Aid and a McDonald's, we don't have any other big stores close to our neighborhood.  So we were pretty excited when we heard another Wally World was coming to the 'Ridge.  We were counting the days till this morning's grand opening, and I stopped on my way home from work to check out the store.  I splurged and bought a bottle of ketchup and a bottle of mustard for the fridge at work, and bought myself a six-pack of V8 juice.  That was the extent of my purchases.  And as excited as I was about the new store, for some odd reason, I just was not in the mood to walk around and see the new store.  So I just paid for my three items and left.  I plan on going there this weekend and doing a thorough walk-thru and check out the entire store then.  I'm sure I'll spot some mullets, too. 

No comments: