Friday, March 7, 2008

Flashback Friday

This morning on the way to work, once again I was raped by OPEC.  I filled up the Blazer, and for the record I paid more per gallon of gas this morning then I have since I started driving.  The record high was $3.36 a gallon.  It hurt a bit at first, but I got over it.  Later on at work, I thought about gas prices when I first started driving.  Even though it was during the 1979 Energy Crisis, I remember filling up my little VW Rabbit for about 75 or 80 cents a gallon. 

I remember back then, people were freaking out like they are today with gas prices over $3 a gallon.  But just like today, they just paid the "high" price of gas then and went on about their business.  When we got the Rabbit, I remember Grandma giving me a five dollar bill in an envelope, and had me tape the envelope inside the glove compartment so I would always have money for gas in an emergency.  Back then, you could have filled up the Rabbit on that five bucks. 

We kept the Rabbit until the engine literally fell out of it, and before the tow truck came and hauled it to the junk yard, after I took out the stereo I made sure I took out the envelope with the five dollar bill.  It was still there - unused.  I put the envelope - still sealed - in one of my dresser drawers, where it still is today.  If only I could fill up the BMW or Blazer for five bucks now. 

No comments: