Friday, March 14, 2008

Flashback Friday

Monday is St. Patrick's Day - the day for the wearing o' the green.  People will be wearing buttons and t-shirts that say "Kiss me - I'm Irish" whether they are or not.  My family is from Germany, so other than celebrating St. Patrick's Day out of solidarity, we have no ties to Ireland.  But that didn't keep us from celebrating. 

When I was a kid, St. Patrick's Day was among the middle-range holidays, like Valentine's Day.  I'd always wear a green shirt and/or pants to school, and in addition to that I would wear a shamrock pin.  The big St. Patrick's Day celebration would come at supper.  Grandma would put green food coloring in the mashed potatoes at supper, even if the rest of the family thought it was gross.  She didn't care - she knew her favorite grandchild would get a kick out of it, so everyone else be damned.  We'd also have green Jello for dessert, too.

Today, St. Patrick's Day is mostly about the bars putting green food coloring in the beer tap lines so they can serve green tap beer on March 17. And truth be known, today, it's more about the "spending of the green" instead of the "wearing of the green."

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I still have a little green shamrock pin Grandma Clara crocheted for me back in the day.

Anonymous said...

i'm a little wary of green jello right now--- i just saw something on court tv how some lady killed one of her husbands by adding antifreeze to her green jello...however green taters sound fabulous.


stop by the blog anytime...