Friday, February 9, 2007

Under The Weather

It truly pains me to report this to you, my faithful readers, but I think I have the flu.  I slept about 7 or 8 minutes last night, thanks to multiple trips to the bathroom.  I managed to get dressed and get to work, but I have to be honest and say that the first hour of the day was a total blur. I can't tell you anything that happened from 8:00 until about 9:05 when I bolted for the bathroom to bow down to the porcelain god.  After that, I have to honestly say that I felt better.  Better, except for the fact that one minute I was burning up and the next minute I felt like a block of ice. 

I managed to make it through the day at work, thanks to a half hour nap during lunch and a big bottle of ginger ale, and as soon as I got home this evening I went to bed and piled on 3 blankets.  After a two hour nap, I felt a bit more human, and felt like I could hold my head up long enough to post to the journal.  As I thought about being under the weather, it made me think.  How did we get the phrase "under the weather"? 

Passengers aboard ships become seasick most frequently during times of rough seas and bad weather. Seasickness is caused by the constant rocking motion of the ship. Sick passengers go below deck, which provides shelter from the weather, but just as importantly the sway is not as great below deck, low on the ship.  On a ship the greatest swaying action is on deck, and the most stable point is down near the keel. Hence seasick passengers tend to feel better below deck, or under the weather.  So now you know. 

No comments: