Monday, February 5, 2007

Favorite Super Bowl Commercials

Let me preface by saying that as a whole, I thought this year's Super Bowl commercials really sucked compared to years past.  I could have easily written my Top Twenty Least Favorite Commercials with no problem.  But I was hard pressed to come up with even my Top Ten Favorite.  I thought and watched the commercials again online, and was able to come up with my Top Three Favorite Commercials:

1.  Budweiser "Dalmations" - You've got to hand it to the advertising folks at Anheiser Busch.  Any commercial with animals that talk or think out loud is going to be a hit in my book.  In this commercial, a very cute white dog gets shooed away from the butcher shop, and then gets scared out of an alley by what appears to be an angry pit bull.  He's bummed even more when he sees a big parade with a dalmation riding in the wagon pulled by the Clydesdales.  But once the dog gets splashed from a mud puddle, he looks just like a dalmation and gets to be in the parade.  I'm pretty sure this commercial won't make you want to drink a Bud, but it was one of my favorites of the night.

2.  Garmin GPS "Mapzilla" - Instead of using the Beta Capsule, you can become Ultraman by using the Garmin GPS machine and can defeat Mapzilla.  I loved this commercial just because I loved to watch Ultraman as a kid.  I'm sure millions of people under the age of 40 were watching this and saying "Who the hell is that?"

3.  Taco Bell "Lions" - Once again, I love any commercial with animals that talk.  But not only do these lions talk, they can speak with a Spanish accent.  Well, one of them can, any way.  We won't get into the believability factors of this commercial - like how a person can get Taco Bell out in the wilds of Africa, or about lions trying to talk like Ricardo Montobaln.  I just liked the commercial, that's all.

4.  Emerald Nuts "Low Blood Sugar" - We can usually count on seeing at least one old school star in a Super Bowl commercial, and this year was no exception.  Robert Goulet is wreaking havoc in an office when people are bottoming out.  Once again, I'm sure some people under the age of 40 probably didn't have a clue who was starring in the commercial.  But Robert Goulet messing with stuff while the people were experiencing low blood sugar was pretty funny to me.

Least Favorite Commercials:

1.  Pizza Hut "Cheesy Bites" - Once again, the advertising geniuses bring us another Pizza Hut commercial with Jessica Simpson during the pre-game hoopla.  The game hadn't even started before we saw her face.  I hope seeing her in one of the first commercials of the Super Bowl didn't cause a lot of people to change the channel to "Extreme Home Makeover."  And I really had a hard time believing that anyone in this commercial had eaten a "Cheesy Bite."

2.  Sierra Mist "Bad Decision" and "Self Defense" - I'm sorry that they couldn't get better comedians to star in these commercials.  In fact, I don't even know why these guys are called comedians.  I think that a prerequisite for being called a comedian would be that you would need to be funny.  The guy with the mega combover got on my nerves so bad I almost changed the channel to "Extreme Home Makeover." 

3.  Doritos "Cleanup On Register 6" - The many flavors of Doritos caused the checkout girl in this commercial to get so excited that a cleanup at her cash register was necessary.  I can't be sure, but I'd be willing to bet that some organization designed to protect the American family is going to file a complaint with the FCC over this commercial.  As much as I love Doritos, it didn't make me want to run up to the corner and buy a bag.

4.  GM "Robot Unemployment" - A robot gets the ax at GM, and looks for another job but has no luck.  So it goes to a bridge, wanting to end it all.  I kept waiting for something funny to happen, but the robot jumped off the bridge, and then woke up from a dream and found itself back at work on the assembly line.  I'm sorry, but this hits a little too close to home for American factory workers, and was just too creepy. 

5.  Sprint "Connectile Dysfunction" - Do I really need to say anything about this? 

Note to Bud Light: bring back Cedric the Entertainer
Note to Budweiser: bring back the Bud Bowl
Note to Careerbuilder.com: bring back the chimpanzees in the office

 

 

No comments: