Monday, February 19, 2007

Consumer Product Safety Alert

By now, I'm sure you've heard that there is a recall on Peter Pan brand peanut butter.  The FDA is warning consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan peanut butter or Great Value peanut butter due to risk of contamination with salmonella.  The affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter have a product code located on the lid of the jar that begins with the number "2111."   Both the Peter Pan and Great Value brands are manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra, so they should be easy to pinpoint where the affected cases were shipped. 

Yesterday while dining and celebrating at the Diva's Winter Brunch, we were discussing the peanut butter recall, and imagine my surprise when Diva Stacy showed me a jar of the recalled peanut butter.  Sure as the world, the product code on the lid began with "2111."  I have to say I suddenly had a morbid fascination with it, and even asked her to take pictures of the jar for TWIT.   I'll admit it's hard to read the printing on the lid, but if you click on "view larger" above the picture, you'll be able to see the "2111" fairly clear. 

Before I had a chance to start asking my twenty questions, Diva Stacy assured me that they had not eaten from the jar; in fact it was still unopened with the safety seal still in tact.  I closely examined the safety seal for any pin holes - for you see, on "All My Children" the other week, the Satin Slayer serial killer injected poison into a jar of peanut butter through the safety seal. I know that's a soap opera, but I just had to look.  Diva Stacy mentioned she hoped they would give her a full refund at the store, but I think I might pay her for the peanut butter and keep the jar here in the archives. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems like a weird gift....peanut butter possibly tainted with salmonella, but since you like it so much, consider it yours.