Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Observations From The Big Store

Last week, my co-worker and our resident #1 mullet spotter JMc emailed me with some very thought provoking observations from a recent trip to Wal-Mart.  After reading them, I felt compelled to share them with the rest of my faithful readers.  Here's JMc's Observations From Wal-Mart:

Have you ever noticed that the first week of the month is NOT the time to go look for work boots?  Apparently this is the only time that people go out and buy them or maybe it actually coincides with a particular donation from our wonderful government.  It also has the same effect on the family-sized bags of frozen burritos and chimichangas, and various south-of-the-border dishes.  Let’s not forget the juice aisle was completely obliterated, but from what I can gather, the work boot-burrito-chimichanga eating persons do no care for the apple juice.

Here's another thing that pisses me off to no end:  people eating fruit by the pound before it is paid for.  That means that they would get the fruit at no cost to them because it has not been weighed and paid for.  I observed this young child around 8 years old eating an apple with his parents or guardians in the beer aisle while they were picking out their brew of choice.  I really do not blame the child as much as I blame the butt holes that are raising him.  If my child tried that he would get a crack across his head and stop eating that apple.  Of course when these people reached the checkout aisle there was no apple or other apples in the cart - not even a core for the checker to scan through.  You’re welcome you little turd for a healthy snack while the rest of the honest people actually PAY for items.

Just venting here, but I’m sure I’m not the only one who gets spurned by these actions.

Well put, my friend JMc, well put.  The old Winn Dixie stores would piss me off because they baited the deadbeats by having open bins of Brachs candies.  When you'd walk through the store, you'd see the Brachs celophane candy wrappers all over the place.  And you know good and well they didn't pay for them, even though Winn Dixie had a little box marked "5 cents" in hopes that an honest soul would drop a nickel in there for every piece of candy they ate while in the store.  Now that I think about it, I don't remember ever seeing much money in the box.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those who mooch off the govt. usually do not require work boots do they? It is very easy to stand back & judge others but should we really do that? Have you ever known any one who takes office supplies home from work? I do. Is that really any different? Should not they be cracked in the head too?

Anonymous said...

This is a comment to the first comment.
Obviously you are a person who does not realize that people who get government help can also work for CASH only and most of these jobs are construction and manual labor type things.  Therefore, the CASH is not reported and the people still get the government help.  If you think this does not happen then go back into your little cave and keep dreaming happy thoughts.  That is why alot of the workboots are gone.
But I do agree with you about cracking people in the head when they take office supplies home intentionally. It cuts into the bottom line.

Anonymous said...

Well you know I have to offer my 2 cents on this topic.....(and I'm not afraid to use my screen name, thank you)...

I am a devoted member in the "I Hate To Go To Walmart" club, so I see some humor in JMc's observations, but with my son's best friend (and our neighbor) being Cuban I do take offense to the stereotypical and racist "work boot-burrito-chimichanga eating persons" comment.  Ouch!  

After reading all the opinions here and the comment in the next entry about the people who were "supposed" to be helping the Katrina victims but pocketed the money instead, I am strongly reminded of the lyrics to Kid Rock's song "Amen".  There are numerous references to so many topics mentioned in these two journal entries, I just have to copy and paste them.  This time I'm thinking what Kid Rock is thinking...



It's another night in hell
Another child won't live to tell
Can you imagine what it's like to starve to death

And as we sit free and well
Another soldier has to yell
Tell my wife and children I love them in his last breath

C'mon now amen, amen, amen

Habitual offenders, scumbag lawyers with agendas
I'll tell you sometimes people I don't know what's worse
Natural disasters or these wolves in sheep clothes pastors
Now damn it I'm scared to send my children to church
And how can we seek salvation when our nations race relations
Got me feeling guilty of being white

But faith in human nature, our creator and our savior, I'm no saint
But I believe in what is right

C'mon now amen, amen
I said amen, amen

Stop pointing fingers and take some blame,
Pull your future away from the flame
Open up your mind and start to live
Stop short changing your neighbors
Living off hand outs and favors, and maybe
Give a little bit more than you got to give

Simplify, testify, identify, rectify
And if I get high stop being so uptight
It's only human n

Anonymous said...

Below is an excerpt from the article:
For many immigrants, the United States has seemed like a land of bountiful wealth. Traditionally, it has been generous with that wealth, at least in respect to legal immigrants. The Supreme Court has ruled repeatedly that resident ALIENS are entitled to the same constitutional protections as normal citizens. Resident aliens have been entitled in the past to participate in federal welfare programs on an equal basis with U.S. citizens.

But in 1996, with the passage of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA), also known as the welfare reform bill, conditions changed dramatically for legal immigrants. As of 2002, legal immigrants face a patchwork of laws in the various states that may or may not give them the right to benefit from various public assistance programs.

By contrast, illegal immigrants are banned from any sort of public assistance under PRWORA, including the very limited services that some states may have chosen to provide them before the act was passed. States giving out public benefits must now verify that immigrants are legal before they receive such benefits. In addition, state and local governments may not restrict their employees from reporting any immigrants to the IMMIGRATION and Naturalization Service, providing a further disincentive to illegal immigrants in trying to receive benefits. But for legal immigrants, trying to sort out the maze of public benefit regulations has become much more difficult since welfare reform.

http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-encyclopedia/eligibility-government-services

Hopefully, if anyone reads this with an open mind they will realize that even what seems like the most innocent of statements can be damaging, even if the intention wasn't meant to be hurtful.  

DLH Post 1

Anonymous said...

Before we continue to parade our ignorant statements all over the internet on the subject of immigrants, legal or not, let us examine some factual informations.

1.  Racism is wrong in all its forms, and I agree with the prior statements made, that "work boot-burrito-chimichanga eating persons" only feeds into the stereotypical ideas that populates our feeble minds in America.  As a sociologist, I can attest to the fact that these stereotypes can be extremely damaging to a population of people, or to an individual.  

After chewing on statement one for a minute, let's move on to statement two.

2.  Most of the hispanic popultation that you see here are not US citizens, they are immigrants, and if one would take a minute to research, they would find that immigrants are not eligible for government benifits due the the Welfare Reform Act of 1996.
DLH Post 2


Anonymous said...

It's obvious that these people do NOT go to the Wal-Mart on Outer loop.