Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I'm Sure I Can't Count That High

I read a very interesting news article last week.  A group of almost one half million hurricane Katrina victims have sued the U.S. government for an astronomical amount of over three quadrillion dollars.  First of all before any of you start Puddin bashing, let me say that however much three quadrillion dollars is, those victims that suffered through the devestation from Katrina should get all of that and then some.  I'm the first to admit that you cannot put a dollar amount on suffering from a loss like that.  The point I want to focus on in TWIT today is the quadrillion dollar issue.  When I was a kid and we'd start talking about big money, we'd often say a "bizillion" or "skillion" dollars.  I wonder if those two denominations are anywhere close to what a quadrillion is. 

I did some quick reseach, and here's what I found out.  A quadrillion has 15 zeros, whereas a million has only six.  The exact dollar amount that the hurricane Katrina victims are suing for is $3,014,170,389,176,410.  Let's spell it out, shall we?  Three quadrillion, fourteen trillion, one hundred seventy billion, three hundred eighty nine million, one hundred seventy six thousand, four hundred and ten.  Whew.  Yep, I'm pretty sure I can't count that high.

Speaking of high, the largest number is a googol, which would have one hundred zeros.  Please don't ask me to write that out exponentially. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the government let them down and let them down and let them down.  Oh and let them down.  I am not surprised.  Other people let them down too, the ones that were supposed to be charged with handling of the donations.  Sad.

Anonymous said...

I agree with ab45yui that it was all just plain wrong, but seriously.....does that much money even exist?