Friday, January 18, 2008

Flashback Friday

Tonight's the night I've been looking forward to for months - it's the night of the big Reba McEntire and Kelly Clarkson "2 Worlds 2 Voices" concert.  I'll be glued to my seat on the fourth row and will be having a fit until I get to hear Reba belt out "Fancy."  By the time I change clothes and get a bite to eat, it will be time to head out to pick up my ticket from the will call counter at Freedom Hall and then go on in and wait for the show to start.  This pre-concert activity is a far cry from when I went to concerts back in the day. 

The pre-concert preparations would start the moment that the concert was announced - usually before I had the ticket in my hot little hands.  Logistics were never the main issue - parents or friends' older siblings would take care of that part; the main concern was what to wear.  We'd go through our entire closets to come up with the right outfit to wear.  And in the weeks until the concert, the "right outfit" would change probably a dozen times.  Not today.  You usually have to park at least 7 miles from the concert venue, so for most women, wearing cool but very uncomfortable shoes are out of the question.  More and more you see women wearing comfortable walking shoes.  And gone is the "right outfit" as well.  With rushing around trying to get home from work and cleaned up before going to the concert, we just don't have time these days to dress to impress.  Besides, chances are you'll get beer spilled on your clothes any way, so there's just no need to dress up any more.  For example, tonight I'll be wearing jeans, a nice blouse, and very comfortable shoes.  I'll have just as much fun as the women I'll see all dolled up and stumbling around on their high heels.  Plus I'll be way more comfortable hiking in from the parking lot.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I envy you going to Reba and Kelly Clarkson's concert!  Wish I could be there too!