Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Your Typical Class

I just got home from school and I'm worn out.  No, I'm not going back for another degree.  I'm taking a class taught by one of my professors from Webster, called "Career Booster Shot."  It's a small class - only 11 people, including me and my dear childhood friend SDF.  Even though it's small, it still has the single most annoying student you'll find in every class regardless of the subject: The Talker. 

You know who I'm talking about - the one person in every class, seminar or training session you've ever attended who talks all the time.  Not whispering or talking while the teacher is trying to teach; talking all the time when comments are supposed to be made or questions are supposed to be answered by the students. 

It only took the first ten minutes of the class to pick out The Talker in this session.  She had a comment for just about everything the instructor said or asked.  She even had comments directed to any of us students who were able to get a word in edge-wise and make a comment.  We know she loves the color purple (she was wearing a purple blouse and coat, and was carrying a purple purse; we know she eats her five fruits and vegetables a day, and that apples are her favorite (this comment was directed to the woman behind her who had eaten a banana and walked up to the front of the class to throw her banana peel in the garbage can); and we know that she has an obsession with Borders bookstore (she mentioned the place 4 times during the two-hour class). 

SDF and I were walking to our cars after class, and I made the comment "I think I'll have to put today's journal on the back burner until tomorrow."  As we made our way across campus she said "Yep.  You've got to write about The Talker."  I didn't even say what I was going to write about, nor did we discuss The Talker during class - I guess we'd both been in class so much during our lives, it was just automatic. 

No comments: