Saturday, February 11, 2006

Who Says Disco Is Dead?

In case you've not watched the TV nor read the newspaper in the last few weeks, the Winter Olympics is going on.  The opening ceremonies were last night.  And to be honest, they were my favorite Olympic games opening ceremony that I've ever seen.  What made this one so great, you might ask?  Well, I'll tell you.  During the parade of athletes (where all of the athletes march in country by country) they played disco music.  Not techno from the 90's or today; hardcore disco from the late 70's.  I would have watched the opening ceremony any way, but getting to listen to disco music for a few hours was a major bonus.  It was almost like I was back in a diso, except I didn't have to pay a cover charge nor put up with cigarette smoke. 

You might think I'm exagerating a bit, and say "Oh come now, Puddin.  Maybe they played a couple of disco songs during the parade of athletes.  That we can believe."  No, I'm not exagerating.  For the entire time the athletes were marching in, disco music was playing non-stop.  Here's a few of my favorite songs they played and what country was marching in when the song was playing:

Finland - "Hot Stuff" by the queen of disco, Donna Summer
Hong Kong - "You Should Be Dancing" by the Bee Gees
Iran - "Funkytown" by Lipps, Inc. 

I think think this going to set the tone for a very cool Winter Olympics.  Good luck to all of the athletes, and stay safe.

No comments: