Saturday, February 18, 2006

Special Recipe Saturday

Anyone that knows me well, knows that I don't cook.  Actually I can cook; I just choose not to.  Our kitchen is big, but it's not big enough for three cooks.  Mom is the #1 cook in the family, and since Dad has been retired, he's been baking alot.  His latest specialty is The Ultimate Carrot Cake.  He made a few of them for Christmas gifts and they were quite the big hit. We all enjoy watching the Food Network, and every now and then one of the shows will feature a recipe that we like and the 'rents will have me go print it out from the Food Network website.  Our current favorite cook on the Food Network is the good ol' southern gal, Paula Deen.  I picked up a copy of her new magazine last week, chocked full of recipes, and I'm here to tell you that Dad read the magazine from cover to cover before I had the chance to even open it. One recipe caught his eye, and Mom and he went shopping earlier this week for the ingredients, and then they set out to make taco soup.  It was awesome.  It was so good, that they put the rest in the freezer so we could have it for Sunday lunch instead of keeping it out for me to take the leftovers to work.  Anyhoo, we'll get to have a nice hot bowl of it tomorrow while the frigid temperature is in the low teens.  I'd like to share with you Paula Deen's Taco Soup recipe.  It definitely gets the TWIT seal of approval.  And way to go Dad - you've become quite the cook. Grandma would be proud of you.

Taco Soup

1 3/4 pounds ground chuck
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
1 (15.25 ounce) can corn
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix

In a Dutch oven, cook beef, onion, and garlice over medium-high heat until browned; stirring well until meat crumbles.  Drain well.

Stir in tomatoes and remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome!  I'm printing it out as we speak and adding a couple of the ingredients I don't already have to this week's grocery list.  Thanks, Puddin'.  

Sure could use a big slab of Pop's Ultimate Carrot Cake to go with it, lmao!!