Wednesday, January 25, 2006

You Gotta Love The IRS, Part II

When we last left our heroine (me), she was all nerved up over dealing with the IRS.  I wasn't quite satisfied with the answers I got on Monday, so I called back.  After talking with 3 different people (one of whom I could not understand due to a forgeign accent) I finally got someone that could help me get this straightened out. A friend in the income tax business had told me to write down the name and ID number of every person I talked with, and as I was being shuffled from person to person, I kept feverishly writing down names and numbers. Finally, IRS agent # 217856 was able to help me.  After hearing many horror stories about the IRS, I was pleasantly surprised.  She was great.  I explained to her what was going on, and read her the letter I received.  She listened, and then assured me that she would help me get this fixed.   When she explained why this happened, she didn't come out and say "You probably didn't mark your final return as 'final return', you idiot."  She actually said that sometimes the "final return" box that is checked on a return is sometimes overlooked.  Wow - the IRS almost admitting they made a mistate.  At any rate, she put me on hold for only a minute or two, and when she got back on the phone she said that she went into their system and marked our 1996 return as being the final return, and said that we should never hear anything from them again about the cleaning business.  I sure hope so.  It was a bummer way to start out Birthday Week. 

No comments: