Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Hats Off To You, Phyllis

The 'rents and I just got back from a very fun overnight trip to the Glory Of Rome.  We had a blast.  Even though we were just gone a little over 24 hours, it still seemed like we'd been gone for a week.  I guess that we just know how to pack alot of fun and excitement into one day.  I think it's something in the gene pool.

We got home this afternoon, absolutely worn out from all of the walking and the "press here to spin" button on the slot machines.  Oh, and from the eating.  Especially the eating.  One of our favorite things to do at the Glory Of Rome is to eat the breakfast at the Villa Buffet.  It rocks.  And it's downright cheap.  It cost us $8 per person - and that includes coffee and all the juice you can drink.  If you've ever eaten breakfast at any restaurant, whether it's McDonalds, Denny's or any other place, then you already know that you'll pay $2-$3 for a small Dixie cup sized glass of juice.  At the Villa Buffet, you get the juice in a tall 16+ ounce iced tea glass.  That in itself is worth the $8 price you pay. 

Besides the juice, the other big draw to the breakfast at the Villa Buffet is the omelet station.  Every time we've been there for breakfast in the past two years, we've had an awesome omelet prepared by Phyllis, the omelet chef.  The first time we had one of her made-to-order omelets, we wanted to ask her if we could hire her to come cook breakfast for us at home.  Yes, they were that good. She wears the very cool white chef's coat, but unfortunately she doesn't wear the tall chef's hat.  I guess she draws the line somewhere.  But I've never tasted an omelet like that before.  It's well worth the half-hour trip to get there just for the omelet. 

When we arrived at the Villa Buffet this morning, Mom and Dad went on their merry ways through the huge buffet, while I got in line for my omelet.  There were 12 people in front of me.  No, I'm not exaggerating.  The 'rents and I aren't Phyllis' only fans. And she was raking in the tips, too.  Everbody that got an omelet left her a buck or two, but this morning I noticed a five and a twenty in the pile of tip money. Evidently they won more then we did. 

On a side note, I'm sorry to report that I did not spot any mullets at the Glory Of Rome this trip.  Maybe they were all hibernating, or all at Wal-Mart. 

No comments: