Friday, January 20, 2006

Farewell, Wilson Pickett

TWIT is sad to report the death of soul music pioneer Wilson Pickett.  Pickett died Thursday of a heart attack.  He was only 64 years old.  Pickett had been suffering from health problems for the past year.  "Wicked Pickett" was best known for his classic hits "Mustang Sally" and "In The Midnight Hour."  Those two songs are must-haves for old school cover bands still today.  He also had a hit with the very cool old school song "Land Of A Thousand Dances."

Aretha Franklin said "A fellow Detroiter, Wilson Pickett was one of the greatest soul singers of all time.  He will absolutely be missed."  That's a pretty big compliment coming from the Queen of Soul.

Pickett was defined by his raspy voice and passionate vocal delivery.  Like so many of his musical counterparts, he got his start singing gospel music in church.  Pickett was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Even though he didn't appear in the movie, Pickett's invfluence could be found in the 1991 film "The Commitments." 

When I had my band, the first song I added to our list-of-songs-to-learn was "In The Midnight Hour."  I've always thought it was one of the coolest songs.  It was also one of the most fun songs to play on the guitar, too.  I'll never sing that song again that I don't think of the great Wilson Pickett. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read in today's Courier-Journal that he was from Louisville and will be resting here in a few days.  I wonder if he will be interred at Cave Hill?  Puddin, we really should explore Cave Hill--it seems so mystic with all of those ponds with stoic swans and other water fowl.

Anonymous said...

I did some research, and found that Wilson Pickett will in deed be laid to rest in the 'Ville at Evergreen Cemetary out on Preston, a stone's throw from where we used to work, MP.  A memorial service will be held here in Louisville this Friday the 28th.  If it doesn't conflict with Bud's birthday celebration, I think I might go.  

Yes, MP, we need to plan a trip to Cave Hill soon.  It's been over ten years since I've been there.  Some might think it's odd and morbid, but I get a nice peaceful feeling whenever I take a stroll through Cave Hill and feed the ducks.