Monday, January 16, 2006

Parking Lot Watch

By now, you're familiar with Mullet Watch - an idea that evolved from lunchroom conversations at ZCO.  News of TWIT's Mullet Watch has spread, and we now have mullet watchers outside of the company.  Within our company, another watch has just been issued: Parking Lot Watch.  Not, this isn't a watch to see when [much needed] repairs and repaving will be done on our gravel parking lot; it's a watch to see when new cars will appear in the parking lot.  For you see, last week we got our bonus checks, I mean, profit sharing checks. 

The first few months of the year is a very exciting time at ZCO.  It's not that we're nosey; we just like to see who uses their bonuses toward a new ride.  It doesn't have to be a new-new car - we look for new-used cars, too.  A co-worker buying a used car is new to them, and to our parking lot.  We're not by any means jealous or bitter. On the contrary - I don't think I've been around any group of people who are happier for each other when somone gets a new ride like my co-workers.  I still recall how happy my co-workers at ZCO were for me two years ago when I was spotted in Parking Lot Watch just after I got my new-used BMW. 

I've even heard of a few co-workers who have bets on who they think will be the first to pull into the parking lot with a new car. As much as I would love for it to be me this year, I'm sorry to say you won't see me rolling up in a new Chrysler 300.  Maybe next year. Or the year after that.  Or the year after that. 

No comments: