Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I Know How Elvis Felt

As a big Elvis fan, I've read and heard stories about how Elvis would get mad at the TV and reach for his gun and shoot the TV. We never knew if he shot the TV because there was a program on he didn't want to watch, or if there was a problem with the TV itself; all I knew is that I heard stories about Elvis shooting out the TV. At 6:50 this morning, I knew how he felt. I had just gotten up and walked into the family room to find Dad standing there with the TV and cable remotes trying to get the eighteen month-old Vizio to come on. "Trying" is the key word. I got my cup of coffee and quickly got dressed for work and came back to the family room and attempted to get the Vizio to come on. "Attempted" is the key word. I got nothing. The only thing that came on was the "Vizio" logo on the front of the set. It was at that point I wanted to go get one of the guns and shoot the TV.

As soon as I got to work and told my coworkers about the problem, it didn't take us long to disover dozens of websites that listed tons of complaints about the Vizio TV's; more specifically, the same problem that we were having. After a lengthy call to Vizio and a call to a friend who is the manager of a local appliance store, I got the name of a reputable local TV repair shop and gave them a call. They were able to come out today and after diagnosing the problem they hauled the Vizio back to their shop for the repair. The cost of the repair is well over one-third of the amount that we paid for the TV, and I'm sure I'll probably regret not just using that money to go towards the purchase of another TV. But I just wanted it fixed so the 'Rents could watch TV. But I digress. Let me say for the record that I will never buy another Vizio TV again. Never. Ever.

As I said, the repair shop hauled the Vizio to their shop and said they should have it back within a week. You can rest assured I'll keep you posted on this, because I'm pretty it's not over yet.

No comments: