Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Why Didn't Someone Stop Me?

I made a very stupid decision tonight. No, I didn't do something stupid like driving after I've been drinking; I didn't do something stupid like using a credit card to make a major purchase. I did something even more stupid than those two things; I made the decision to go to Wal-Mart on the night before school starts.

All I needed was a half gallon of milk to take to work for the Cheerios that a co-worker and I eat for breakfast every morning, so stupid me thought I would in and out in just a few minutes. Boy was I wrong. I was in the 20-items-or-less line for 25 minutes waiting to be checked out. Yep, 25 minutes to pay for my $1.62 half gallon of milk.

Actually I could have maybe gotten out of there in 20 minutes had it not been for the teenage girl behind me in line. She and her boyfriend were there buying a frozen pizza and a can of Fix-a-flat, and just about every sixty seconds the girl would say out loud "Oh my God - these people are so slow. I'm going to die from starvation." When it came time for me to be checked out, I told the cashier "Please take the people behind me first. She has said repeatedly that she is going to die from starvation, and I want you to check them out now. I've had a pretty good day, and I don't want it to be ruined by someone dropping dead behind me while I'm standing in the checkout line at Walmart."

2 comments:

Toots said...

You shoulda just gone to the Corner Stop.

Puddin said...

I know I should have. They always take my expired coupons.