Saturday, August 29, 2009

That's How It Should Be

I was about half way through my bicycle ride today when I stopped for a water break at what is known in our part of town as "the bridge". It's a bridge that the bicycle path goes across a very deep creek. I stopped and sat down on a bench and witnessed something very cool. At the mid-point on the bridge, two young girls were having a picnic. They had a blanket spread out, and were sitting on pillows and were eating corn dogs and and drinking pop from a 2-liter bottle. They must have liked mustard on their corn dogs because I spotted a familiar yellow bottle of mustard. I sat there while I rested and drank my water and watched the two girls enjoying their picnic. As I watched, I though to myself that's how it should be. They weren't worried about bills, or having trouble at their jobs, or their kids having trouble in school - they were just enjoying being together having a picnic with their corn dogs. I have to confess I was envious.

1 comment:

Toots said...

We used to be that young and carefree too, remember? Their day is coming; glad they are enjoying life today!! LOL.