Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Flood 2009 Observations, Part 2

It's been one week since we had the big flood, and I've had time for more observations. The biggest thing that hit me hard was the loss of our dear friends H and N. They lost everything that was in their basement -- including their childrens' pictures and momentos and family heirlooms. When Mom was able to get in touch with H last Wednesday, H said that their refrigerator was floating on its side down in their flooded basement. If that doesn't make you sick I don't know what will. Add to that the fact that her childrens' pictures and other stuff was lost and you've got one gigantic loss.

Last night as I was carrying down bags of groceries and canned goods to the shelves in the basement, I had an epiphany. I decided that starting this week and until whenever, I was going to buy two big plastic storage containers and would start packing up all of the stuff we have in our basement. I'm not sure how long it will take or how many containers it will take; that's really irrelavent. All I know is I would almost die if I lost all of my stuff in the basement- including some of Grandma and Grandpa's stuff. So I'm just not going to risk it and will instead put everything I can in a plastic container so it will be waterproof if we ever get flooded. I don't care if the whole basement is full of plastic storage containers - at least I'll have peace of mind that they won't get flooded. And on my way home tonight, I did stop at WM and purchase the first two containers. As soon as I sign off on here I'm headed down to the basement to fill them up. I'll keep you posted on our progress.

1 comment:

Toots said...

Just make sure you don't buy large storage containers at the same time you buy rope, duct tape, and cleaning supplies.