Saturday, August 8, 2009

Hot, Hot Summer

It's almost mid-August, but I have to say that according to us here at The Compound, today was the hottest day we've had so far this summer. I never looked at the thermometer on the back porch but we all agree that it was the hottest day so far.

I set my alarm to make sure I didn't sleep in this morning, and was up riding out on the bike path at about 9:30 so I could get my ride in before the temperature got to the predicted 94 degrees. But even riding early it was hot already. I stopped three times during my 11 mile trip for water breaks and when I got home I felt like I'd ridden 111 miles. Mom and Dad both agreed that it felt hot as hell this morning, too. He was out on the tractor cutting the grass in the back and she was next door helping a neighbor shampoo her couch and chairs. Needless to say after my ride and their chores were done, we kept our fannies inside in the nice a/c.

Anyhoo, we've been in the a/c all afternoon, and that's where we'll be staying the rest of the night. I'm just thankful I didn't have a Bats game tonight, because I would have been tempted to stay home in the cool a/c.

1 comment:

Toots said...

We've been spoiled with such a mild summer. Now the "normal" days seem brutal.