Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Flood 2009 Observations

It's been over twenty-four hours since we had the Great Flood of 2009, and as always, I have some observations I'd like to share.


First and foremost, the weatherazzi was caught way off guard on this. As I was watching the morning news while I was getting ready for work Tuesday morning, at about 6:30 all they said was there were storms up in southern-to-mid Indiana, and that Louisville could possibly see some storms later that night. But thanks to the jet stream, the storm front took a wicked turn and moved due south at almost a 90 degree angle and dumped 6 inches of rain on us.


Second, as usual, people were not prepared for this flood insurance-wise. I talked to a few people today who lost their cars in yesterday's flood, and they only had liability coverage - not full. So they're screwed. I'm so sorry for their loss, but at the same time I said a quick prayer of thanks that I'm able to afford to pay for full coverage on my two old cars. And to think that some people used to laugh at me for paying for full coverage on a car that's 19 years old an an SUV that's 14 years old. I bet they're not laughing now.


Thirdly, I'm very surprised at the weatherazzi's coverage of Flood 2009. I was at work, and didn't have access to a TV or radio, but the 'Rents said that they broke in every so often with weather updates and info, but they didn't have a steady stream of weatherazzi coverage like they normally do with storms and tornados. Seems like the weatherazzi sure missed a good opportunity for some facetime on TV.


It still seems like it was a bad dream - like, standing out on our company's shipping dock as the water was touching my toes didn't happen; like I never saw cars and trucks floating out in what was our factory's parking lot. But it did happen. And I'm thankful that my family and friends are safe. In the end, that's all that matters.







No comments: