Monday, August 24, 2009

Free Is Not Always Good

I was chatting with a co-worker today, and during our visit, she told me about her family's visit to the state fair yesterday. Being the inquisitive one, I asked a dozen questions: What did you see? Where all did you go? Most importantly, What did you eat? She said that she had some awesome salt water taffy, and that they spent almost the entire day in the south wing of the fair grounds. Given the fact that the Kentucky State Fair has the most square footage of space in air conditioning, that wouldn't be a very hard thing to do. But I digress. I asked if she got any cool free junk. Other than a few emory boards and some note pads, she said that was about the only freebies she got. But her husband, on the other hand, apparently hit the mother lode of freebies at the fair. She said that while they were looking at all of the booths and vendors in the south wing, he got a free prostate exam.

I knew that they had the mobile mammogram bus at the fair - they've been advertising on TV and radio, and during the commercial they said women just needed to bring their insurance card to get the smash-o-gram done, but my co-worker said her husband didn't even have to show his insurance card. Basically all he had to do was answer a few questions, drop his pants and bend over.

With prostate cancer on the rise, I'm happy that my friend's husband took the time from eating corn dogs and looking at the mules to get his prostate checked. But I don't even want to think of what medical testing they'll have next year at the fair.

1 comment:

Toots said...

When my daughter's class went last year they did "ear checks". They found a dead roach down inside one girl's ear canal. Fun at the Fair!!