Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Farewell, 2008

It's hard to believe that twelve months have past, but today we say goodbye to 2008. You gave us a year that we will never forget, and things that we never expected.

We never expected that we would be have to pay over four dollars a gallon for gas during this year. And we still have a hard time accepting the fact that we're in a deep recession right now.

We never expected such zeal and enthusiasm for a Presidential election, but you gave us quite a race this fall. You showed us that anything is possible if you believe hard enough; that was proof positive in the Presidential election as well as the summer Olympics in Bejing as we watched Michael Phelps and Dara Torres.

We never expected that a hurricane down at the Gulf Coast could have an impact on the 'Ville, but it did back in September, and parts of our city were without power for over a week.

We never expected jobs to be taken away from us, but as the recession continues, and not only do we see our friends and family affected, but ourselves as well.

We never expected our friends and family to be taken away from us. I still mourn the passing of my best friend in the world's mother, but at the same time, I celebrate her life and legacy.

Personally, I never expected such a change in my life during this past year. Last New Year's Eve, I would have never expected that in the coming year I would have a life-altering change, and would eventually lose over fifty pounds and would be riding my bike over ten miles every day of the week.

But for all of these unexpected things, I thank you, 2008. You made us stronger, and gave us hope for 2009.






1 comment:

Toots said...

That's about all she could say.