Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Waste Of Time

I just wasted two hours of my life -- two hours that I will never ever be able to get back.  From 2:00 until 4:00 this afternoon, I watched two episodes of the reality talent show "Can You Duet?".  At least the second episode I watched was the finals, but still, it was a waste of time.  If you're like me and didn't have a clue about "Can You Duet?", it was a reality talent show similar to "American Idol" and a dozen other reality talent shows.  The gist of this one was to find the next big country music duet.  And let me say based on what I watched in the two hours, I am using the term "country music" very loosely.  The only really country couple (a cute and talented husband and wife duet) made it to the final three duets only to get the boot.  The runner up duet, two young guys, yelled their way through most of their songs.  The winning duet was in deed the better of the ones I saw and deserved to win, but they weren't what I classify as country. 

I'm probably being too cricital, but being a musician myself and being a person who pays her hard earned money for CDs and concert tickets, I know what sounds good and doesn't sound good.  It's not that the duets I heard on the show were bad - they just weren't country.  In fact, there's not much true country these days.  But that's a whole other point for another journal entry. 

Anyhoo, unlike "American Idol" and other shows, the viewers didn't get a chance to vote for their winners - the three judges (Naomi Judd, songwriter Amy Mayo and a guy who said he taught Keith Urban to be a star) were the ones who decided who won and who got the boot.  I agreed with their comments and decisions for the most part, but still thought that the viewers should have been given the chance to vote for the winning duet.  After all - they're the ones that will be paying for concert tickets and CDs, not the three judges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree.  MPO - When individuals reach a level of stardom, they lose a bit of the "street knowledge" that got them where they are today.  There is no way around it because of time an departure from where they started.  Just an opinion.