Monday, June 16, 2008

File Under: Something You Don't See Everyday

After we park in our usual end parking spot at church, we have about a block walk from the parking lot to the doors of the sanctuary.  We love the walk - we like to look at the big old homes across the street, and it's a very pleasant walk.  Being in the heart of downtown Louisville, you're really never sure what or who you will see as you walk.  We've never encountered any homeless people asking for handouts or anything really out of the ordinary.  That is, until yesterday morning.

We were walking on the sidewalk and had almost reached the steps going into the sanctuay when I inadvertantly kicked something with my shoe while walking. We all three heard a clicking noise as my shoe kicked the object, and I glanced back to see what I had kicked.  Imagine my surprise when I turned around to see my Dad crouched down in a baseball catcher's position looking at what I had kicked with my shoe: it was a denture plate.  Yep, dentures.  Actually it was just one plate, and we didn't turn it over to see if it was the top or bottom plate.  But it was someone's false teeth all right.  Now that's definitely something that you don't see everyday - be it in the city or the country. 

We discussed this in the lunchroom today, and a co-worker/faithful reader brought up a very good point:  wouldn't you notice sooner than later that you had in deed lost one of your denture plates?  It's not like when you lose an earring, you might not notice it's missing until you look in a mirror or reach up to take the earring off.  One a related note, a few feet past the denture plate on the sidewalk, Mom saw a silver hoop earring.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I don't think so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was a spare set?