Thursday, June 5, 2008

A New Way To Burn

A couple of months ago, a co-worker told me about something very cool that he discovered.  He was experimenting with CD burning and downloading songs to his MP3 player when he stumbled upon a new way to make a CD with music.  He said that instead of burning the CD as the usual "music CD" he instead burned the CD as a "data CD" and was able to put over a dozen albums on the burned CD.  (Note: I'm sorry, but I still have to use the word "album" when referring to a regular store-bought CD.  I'm old school.)  He gave me the CD to listen to and I'll be darned if there weren't over a dozen albums on there.  So tonight, I tried it to see if it would work.  I was experimenting by copying all of the songs on my desktop computer to a CD so I could download them to my small MP3 player that I use for bike riding or walking.  It worked fine.  Instead of being able to get 80 minutes worth of songs on a CD by burning it as a music CD, I got 60 songs on it by burning it as a data CD and only used 1/3 of the 700 megabytes worth of space.  I took the CD to the Blazer and it played just fine in the CD player, too.  So give it a try the next time you want to make a copy of all of the music on your computer but don't want to use a bunch of CDs.  If I can burn the data CD successfully, anyone can.  

No comments: