Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My Project For The Summer

At the Bats game on Saturday night, we were talking with some of our neighbors about the Kentucky State Fair in August.  The people we were talking with have entered tomatoes, canned okra and other culinary items in the fair for the past few years.  The more they talked about it, the more it made me want to enter something in the fair.  But there's only one problem:  I don't cook.  But I was very quick to assign entries for everybody else.  I told the friend I was with that she needed to enter the Spam cooking contest, given the fact that she loves Spam; I told her she needed to make her awesome stuffed mushrooms with Spam instead of sausage.  I'm pretty sure I have her just about talked into it. 

When I got home later that night, I started in on the 'Rents.  I told Dad that he needed to enter his very popular Margarita cake.  He agreed without too much coercion.  Then I went to work on Mom.  After looking at the Kentucky State Fair website, I decided that she needed to enter her world famous bourbon balls.  Once again, she agreed without too much coercion.  But then my thoughts came to me; what could I make and enter in the fair?  After looking over the culinary contests again, I changed my strategy and decided that Dad needed to make Grandma's Italian cream cake and I would make his Margarita cake.  I think we can do it.  Of course, I'll have to practice and make a few of the cakes between now and the middle of August.  I'll keep you posted on my baking progress.

No comments: