Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Farewell, 2009

It just seems like yesterday TWIT was wishing farewell to 2008. You were kind of rough on us, 2009, and I'm not ashamed to say I'm glad to see you go. But while you were here, you showed us some valuable things.

In January (and on my birthday, no less) you showed us that Mother Nature can still pack a wallop by giving us the worst ice storm in the history of the state of Kentucky. Till the day I die I will never forget how on the morning of my birthday I was standing out at the end of my driveway by the road waiting for JW to pick me up for work, holding an umbrella that was frozen by the ice pouring down like rain.

Just a few days later after we all had thawed and dug out, you also showed me that no matter how careful you are, accidents will happen as my beloved Blazer was hit head on by a woman who wasn't paying attention. Thank goodness luck, fate, and the Good Lord were on my side and my Blazer was fixed as good as new.

Throughout the year, you showed us that we were still in a deep recession. At work we witnessed this first hand as our company's sales plummeted and over forty coworkers in the factory were laid off. But through this recession you taught us to spend less and save. And we're the better for it.

At the end of the summer, you showed us that Mother Nature still wasn't through with us yet, and in one morning in late August we experienced flooding in Louisville like my generation had never experienced. But once again, you taught us through this - those that were flooded out and had no electricity for weeks learned to be resourceful, and the city also came together to help those flooded out.

Personally, you taught me some things this year. You taught me that I need to follow my heart and you gave me the opportunity to make a life-changing decision by going back to school for a second Master's in Security Management -- a field that I have grown to love in just the few classes that I've taken so far. I've always loved school, but never in a million years thought taking classes would make me actually happy! You showed me that it's always good to have a backup plan just in case, and you gave me the tools and chance to put that plan in action, and I thank you very much for it. I hope that your friend 2010 will help me keep up my enthusiasm.

Toward the end of this year, you gave something back in my life that I thought I'd lost forever, in the form of a very dear friend. Whether it was fate or karma, I don't know; but I do know it's made me happier and it was truly one of the highlights of your twelve month visit with us.

All year long you still showed me the awesome power of unconditional love from my parents and my best friend. You also gave me the chance to give them unconditional love.

I wish you the best, 2009, and once again thank you for everything you taught us. We all are anxious to see what 2010 will bring us.


No comments: