Wednesday, December 16, 2009

All Is Calm,All Is Bright

For the first time in nine weeks, there was no reading and no homework to do tonight. Why, if I hadn't made the monthly trip to the nursing home tonight, I might have been down right bored. Yeah, like that would have happened. It felt great to visit with the residents at the nursing home and not have school work lurking in the back of my mind or worrying about reading 60 pages when I got home.

It's hard to believe that the third class in the security management Master's program is over. That means I'm one-third of the way through. Yet it seems like I just started last week. This class has gone by fast, but it was probably the most work-filled class I've had in this Master's program and when I was getting my MBA. But it has been my favorite class so far, and I really liked it and am having a blast learning on how to keep companies, organizations and people safe. The deeper I get into these classes, the more I'm starting to think that this might be a career that I would like to explore.

In addition to learning from the textbook and the classwork, I'm also learning a lot from my classmates. Sixteen of us started on this journey together, and we'll be together until we finish. I'm starting to get to know my classmates, even if we communicate by emails and class discussions. Out of the sixteen of us in this program, another woman and I are the only two with no military experience - everyone else is currently active duty military. But I'm hanging in there, and I feel like I'm really learning a lot.

I have two weeks off before the next class begins, and after just finishing my finals last night, I'm anxious to see the syllabus for the next class and see what's in store. I just hope and pray that I will keep up this momentum and enthusiasm. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: