Friday, December 29, 2006

I Thought I Had a Rough Week At Work

Even though it was a short work week, it was still a long week for my department - in addition to doing our normal work, we had to go out into the factory and warehouse and count inventory this week.  Even my boss and the department head would be the first to say they would rather be beat with a stick than to go out and count inventory.  But even though we had to crawl and climb over pallets and other obstacles to get our counts this week, we still didn't have it nearly as rough as the servers at our local O'Charley's restaurant this evening.  In the 45 minutes I was there waiting for my carryout order, I witnessed three servers dropping their trays full of food.  Maybe I should have said that we didn't have it nearly as rough as the people waiting for their food. 

I deviated from our usual Friday fish this evening, and instead went to O'Charley's for a big dinner.  Dad and I referred to it as our Last Supper, for come Tuesday, we're cutting back and are going to get back on track with Mom and her healthy eating.  So I thought we'd splurge this weekend by having a nice dinner.  I placed my order and sat by the bar people watching while I waited.  It was a Friday night, and the restaurant was full, so I knew it would take awhile, but I was fairly content watching the people.  While I sat there waiting, I saw and heard three major spills.  We're not talking a spilled glass or a dropped plastic basket of bread; we're talking trays full of people's food - food that people had been waiting for for almost an hour like me.  Nobody was hurt in the spills, but the third spill was so intense, that the server fell down and one of her shoes flew off.  That's some spill.  And here I thought I had a rough week at work. At least I managed to keep my shoes on.

No comments: