Thursday, September 14, 2006

Super-Sized Pens

I've mentioned a few times in TWIT how much I love pens and notepads.  It's not quite at the fetish stage, but I have a weakness for pens and such.  Maybe it's boderline OCD, but just about every time I go to a store, I go to the school and office supplies aisle and look.  Before you go any further, let me say for the record I don't buy a new pen or a cool mechanical pencil each time I go to the store.  But I do buy alot. 

When I went back to college, I got a very cool Dr. Grip pen and mechanical pencil to use.  With all of the note taking and writing that is a part of college, I figured my hand would need all the help it could get.  The bigger barrel of the Dr. Grip and the rubber grip made it very comfortable to hold and my hand never got tired of writing with those.  I used them most of the time, but in keeping up with my habit, I continued to buy other pens.  Most of them were bigger than a regular ink pen, but not quite as big as the Dr. Grip. 

I'm out of college now, but do a lot of writing at work, so my pen habit is still pretty strong.  The other day, I decided I was tired of using the pen I'd been using so I got in my desk drawer to pull out another one.  I found a very nice Cross pen (with blue ink, of course).  I started using it and it felt so awkward. It was as if I'd never held an ink pen in my hand before.  It's a traditional Cross ink pen - thin, and made of metal.  I guess I've gotten to used to the bigger pens that my hand finds it hard to use a thinner one. After using it for one day, I put it back in the desk drawer and got out a bigger pen that felt better.  It just hit me as strange. I would have never imagined that a hand would get used to holding a certain sized pen. 

You're probably thinking "Why on earth would Puddin write about something like this?" But why do I write about anything here?  Because I think it's interesting. 

No comments: