Saturday, September 23, 2006

Saturday Storm Report

As I type this, it's 1:00 in the afternoon, and looks like it's about 9:00 at night.  Yep, another storm is about to begin. It looks like the weatherazzi was right after all, faithful readers. 

It stormed almost all night long.  The biggest storm hi at about 11:30, just after I went to bed and was almost in the REM stages of sleep.  The power at The Compound was out from before midnight until 3:00 in the morning.   When the worst of the storm was going on, I got the flashlight and went to the back bedroom to get the battery-powered TV to see what the weatherazzi was saying.  Much to my surprise, all I found was Letterman and Leno - no weatherazzi.  Never mind they were on the air non-stop all evening long as we were trying to watch "Grey's Anatomy" and "Celebrity Duets" but when the most severe storm was raging over Louisville, the weatherazzi was nowhere to be found.  It makes no sense. 

They're still calling for 2-4 inches of rain this afternoon, and another 2 inches overnight. There's flooding in areas all across the city - parts of I-64 near downtown and the Expressway are even closed.  The news people have told of countless water rescues this morning, and there has even been one death due to the storm.  For once, the weatherazzi has been right.  People have been listening, too - I ran to the grocery store this morning to pick up some things for Mom's birthday dinner tonight, and the store was packed.  It was reminiscent of when people flock to the store for bread and milk when snow is predicted. 

The ground is so saturated already, and I'm afraid there will be even more flooding as the day goes on.  All I will say is thank the Lord and MSD that we're hooked up to the sewers. 

No comments: