Monday, September 4, 2006

My Favorite Thing I Did This Summer

I know that we still have a couple weeks left of summer, but today is Labor Day and that is the unofficial end of summer.  It's the day that the swimming pools close, and it also marks the end of wearing white shoes for the year. It used to be the day that people would have their final cookout of the year, but with gas grills, people cookout all year round so we can't really count that in our end of summer countdown. 

I'd originally thought of a "top ten things from summer 2006" list for TWIT, but I really can't think of ten things I did this summer that would count.  It was an extremely long and hot summer, but the a/c at home and in the vehicles made it bearable. I went to alot of Bats baseball games, and loved every one of them.  The Divas went out to eat a couple of times this summer, and continued our tradition of getting together every Sunday afternoon. I had some great times at the VFW, and I attended some great concerts this summer.  But still, nothing would do justice for a Top Ten.  So this will just be My Favorite Thing I Did This Summer.

It's pretty self-explanatory - getting to meet Reba McEntire is without a doubt my favorite thing I did this summer.  In case you didn't know,  I took a much-needed vacation in July and went to the west coast, and at the end of the trip, I stopped in Las Vegas to attend Reba's concert at the Las Vegas Hilton.  I forked over extra $$ and got the VIP package, which included front row seats and the opportunity to meet her after the concert.  When I got to the theater, I almost had a heart attack when I found out that my seat was front row all right -- it was front row on the stage.  Yep, the VIP seats were a few rows of seats on the side of the stage. When Reba would walk or dance over to the side of the stage where we were, she was about two feet from me.  You could almost feel her breath when she sang or talked.  After the concert, we were given backstage passes to wear and then we waited in line to meet Reba.  I was very impressed by Reba's people - we weren't herded through like cattle.  She took the time to talk to each person for a minute or two. While we couldn't use our own cameras for the pictures, they had a professional photographer take them.  Of course they gouged us by selling them back to us, but hey - it's Vegas;it's par for the course.  Getting to meet one of my almost-lifelong idols was truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and truly the highlight of my summer.

No comments: