Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Tribute To Roy Orbison

My dear friend and faithful reader Big Mama was in Nashville last week for a gathering of Roy Orbison fans and to celebrate his birthday. When she told me some stories and how much fun she had, I asked her to give me a report for the journal.  She files this report with TWIT:

Here's a report of our days in Nashville celebrating Roy's birthday.   We had a blast!  (Roy Orbison would have been 70 years old April 23rd.)

First, I'll tell you what we did in our "spare" time! We visited the Country Music Hall of Fame and saw a great exhibit on Ray Charles, and yes, there was a large photo of Roy recording in Studio B along with Fred Foster, Anita Kerr and others.

Now on to the parties...When was the last time Joe Melson and Bill Dees were in the same room talking about working together???!!!!! This past weekend!!! That was incredible, Joe Melson signed lots of our things – my friend had him sign an old piece of sheet music - Only the Lonely by Roy Orbison and Joe Melson. He was asked him what his favorite song was. Guess which one? We asked him if maybe it was Running Scared - nope, he flat out said it was Only the Lonely.

Bill Dees was his normal wonderful friendly and effervescent self.  Bill has a real gift of friendliness and such an upbeat attitude. It takes a while to get used to him - he really is unique! But he is truly talented and blessed with many gifts. Wesley Orbison was there on Sat. night and gifted us with a few songs. Bill was really encouraging him, telling him that he is loaded with talent. Wesley lamented and felt bad that he had not developed his talent - he is still young!!! Welsey brought his daughter, Emily, Roys' granddaughter, who is such a sweet young girl of about 14. You can really see the Orbison in her!!

There were maybe 40 or so of us there. In addition, Larry Henley, (correct me if I have the spelling wrong) was there, who was a member of the New Beats, who did Run Baby Run and he wrote a few songs that Roy recorded. I have not checked the details on all this yet.

We also had a visit from Mary Beth Hurst of the Orbison building and our forum. It was nice to meet her and we hope to continue to build a solid relationship between the fans and the Orbison Group.  (www.orbison.com)

I hope this is just a start to the many memories and continuing relationships that we all have.

Happy Birthday to Roy!

 

There is a exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of fame, and goes on until December this year…..they opened it with Barbara Orbison earlier this month…..

http://www.rockhall.com/exhibitions/featured.asp?id=2502

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Carla..............I had a ball.
I also plagiarized parts of my review from a more wordy Orbison fan............he just said it so Good.
~Barb
aka Blgmama (or Big Mama to Carla)

Anonymous said...

What's a little plagurism among friends? You gave him credit so I don't think he'll sue us.  You all had fun and that's the main thing.  

I'll have to discuss this with my fellow Diva - we just might have to make you an Honorary Diva. You are very worthy of the title.

Anonymous said...

That would be an honor.............

Anonymous said...

Big Mama an honorary Diva?  I think it's a great idea!  So let it be written!

Anonymous said...

So let it be done.  Big Mama -- we hereby declare you an honorary Diva.