Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Battle Lines Have Been Drawn

For those of you here in the 'Ville and the surrounding areas, I don't need to tell you that it's been hot this week.  Not warm, but downright hot.  We went right from winter to summer this week.  The past few days, it's been in the mid- to upper-80's.  If you know anything about me at all, then you know this has set the stage for the 2006 A/C Wars.

The previous few nights, both of the 'rents had made comments like "it sure was humid today" so I'd hoped that Wednesday would be The Day - they were going to do their Easter baking and I just knew they would turn on the a/c to keep the kitchen cool while they were baking their cakes.  Nope.  'Rents: 1, Puddin: 0.

It's been miserable sleeping the past few nights; not because it's been hot in the house (yes, it hurt me to admit that) but because of all of the noise that I hear by having my bedroom windows open.  Dogs barking, birds chirping at all hours, and let's forget the traffic.  Lots of traffic.  Yesterday morning when I got up, I felt like I hadn't even been to sleep.  I'd already decided that before I left for work, I would subtly tell the 'rents that "I closed my bedroom windows in case it rains today."  That way they would know that the windows are closed just in case they decided to flip the switch and turn on the a/c today.  My plan was foiled.  Before I even had the chance to mention it, Dad said "You better make sure your bedroom windows are closed.  It's supposed to storm this afternoon." Darnit.  'Rents: 2, Puddin: 0.

The 'rents went to church yesterday for our Good Friday service and lunch afterward, so I just knew that yesterday afternoon when they got home, they would be hot and would surely turn it on while they rested.  Imagine my surprise when I pulled in the driveway and looked up to see the French doors wide open.  I believe that makes us 'Rents: 3, Puddin: 0.  I should have stayed at the VFW longer last night and helped dye the eggs just because it was in air-conditioned comfort. 

After Dad complaining last night about being hot, I was sure that today they would flip the switch.  Mom had some more Easter baking to do, and I was just sure that they would turn the a/c on to keep the house cool while the oven was on.  I made a comment to Dad about how miserable he was last night and then he spoke the clincher "Well, as soon as it gets hot and stays hot, we'll turn the air on.  It's suppoed to be in the 60's this week."  Final score -- 'Rents: 4, Puddin:0.  I admit defeat. 

No comments: