Friday, April 28, 2006

It's Only A Dime, But It's The Principle

I was at McD's the other morning, and after I placed my order at the drive-thru, the cars ahead of me still hadn't moved so I had to stay were I was - in front of the big menu board.  I was reading about their new Asian salad, and the menu said you could add a bottle of Dasani water for "only $1.40."  I glanced down at the bottom of the menu where the beverages are listed, and imagine my surprise when I saw Dasani bottled water for $1.30.  Yep.  That's right.  McD's is charging two different prices for the same item. 

With all of the bad press today about the high-calorie and fat-filled items on fast food menus, McD's has a good idea to offer salads and water as an alternative to a 1500-calorie burger.  But do they need to charge a dime more for the bottle of water?  If you look at it this way, someone, most often a PAT, has to go to the refrigerator case and get a bottle of water if it's ordered - it doesn't matter if you order it with a Big Mac or with one of their new Asian salads.  It doesn't take an extra 10 cents worth of labor to get that bottle from the refrigerator to the customer.  If anything, you'd think McD's would charge you maybe 10 cents less for the water if you buy it with their salad.   I know. It's only a dime, but it's the principle.  You save fifteen or twenty cents if you get one of the extra value meals, but yet they will charge you a dime more if you order the bottled water with their new salad.  The only thing I can say is WTF?

No comments: