Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Mullet Watch

Spring is here and the storms are over, for this week at least, and the mullets are out and about. I spotted two of them yesterday.  One was at the neighborhood drugstore.  I was in the back of the store looking for dental floss and spotted the mullet at the prescription counter.  Instead of the usual acid-washed jeans or jeans with the snaps around the ankle like I normally see, this mullet was wearing a pair of Zuba pants.  In case you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, Zubas are knit pants that weightlifters wear.  They come in far out prints and patterns.  The mullet was wearing a very cool pair of white, black and gray snakeskin print Zubas.  The only thing cooler would have been if he were wearing fakeskin boots.  Getting back to the mullet.  It was very long and gray, and in desperate need of a trim to even it up. 

My second mullet sighting of the day was about ten minutes later at Krogers.  Actually I should have mentioned this mullet when we first started Mullet Watch.  I've seen it just about every week for the past 20 years.  The mullet wearer works at Krogers, and has been at the store since it opened up over 20 years ago. But wouldn't you know it - the mullet looks just like it did the first time I saw the guy - long and wavy and dark brown.  I don't see much gray on the guy, but he could use Grecian to cover it up. 

The third sighting this week is brought to us by my fellow Diva and best friend Stacy.  Here's her report:

I was at the barber shop getting my son’s Spring Break trim when a fellow walked in to have his mullet shaped up.

It was relatively short as mullets go, not far past the collar, but a mullet nonetheless.  It was about half gray and badly in need of some “leave in” conditioner.  The wearer looked to have been on a week long binge that ended up  lasting a few years.  He was very happy with the “shape up” and even gave the barber a small tip.

Very exciting to see a mullet at the barber shop!

Mullet count: 22

No comments: