Monday, April 10, 2006

Now That's What I Call A Come Back

As it is every Sunday, we had our usual share of drama at Fourth Avenue Baptist yesterday morning.  I won't go into the major part of the drama because it will get me all riled up and I won't be able to sleep tonight because I'll be all riled up.  But I do have a very amusing anecdote to tell you.   This exchange of banter took place between our off-duty cop that we hire to watch our parking lot and a punk/street person who wanted to come into church, probably looking for a handout. 

Background first: our off-duty officer is a Jefferson County deputy sheriff, and his uniform is brown.  The punk was getting ready to go into the front of the church and looked like he was up to no good.  Our deputy walked up to watch over things, and noticed that the punk was still wearing a white plastic ID bracelet that they strap on you when you are in the jail, and deducted that the punk must have just got out jail. He continued to watch in case the punk came in and started to disrupt the service.  The punk noticed he was being watched and got a little mouthy.  Here's how the conversation went down:

Deputy:  Can I help you?
Punk: I need to talk to the preacher.
Deputy: The service is going on.  You'll have to wait until church is over.
Punk: I need to talk to the preacher now.
Deputy: What to you need to talk to the preacher about?
Punk: It's none of your ____ing business.
Deputy: (pointing to his brown uniform) This isn't a UPS uniform that I have on.  I can make it my business when I haul you back down to Sixth and Jefferson (the location of the jail).

 

No comments: