Saturday, March 26, 2005

We're Finally Above Average

It pains me to say that Kentucky is ranked below-average for things like our school systems, per capita income, high school graduates, etc.  The list could go on and on.  But we've finally reached above average on one thinIt pains me to say that Kentucky is ranked below-average for things like our school systems, per capita income, high school graduates, etc.  The list could go on and on.  But we've finally reached above average on one thing - gas prices.  This morning on Good Morning America, Barbara Walters said that the average price per gallon in the U.S. is $2.11.  Hahhhhh.  Just a block away from work, it's $2.25.  Like this is something to be proud of?

I know we've already discussed the gas prices here in TWIT, and even started a weekly post about the cheapest and most expensive gas, but it's the hot topic right now.  People are actually using more gas to drive miles away to get gas a nickel cheaper.  I kid you not.  I hear it all the time from co-workers and friends at home.  People will actually drive out of their way to save a few cents on gas.  Sure, it costs a small fortune to fill up my BMW, but I'll be damned if I'm going to drive out of my way and use a gallon of gas to buy gas a few cents cheaper than it is up the street from my house.  It's not gonna happen.  I lucked out last night, however.  I ran out to the Super WalMart, just across the Bullit county line, to get some new glasses at their vision center, and a gas station next to the WalMart had gas for the unheard of price of $2.08. The "please refuel" light had just come on as I pulled into the WalMart parking lot, so the timing was perfect.  I felt like I'd won a big jackpot out in Vegas - filling the BMW up for $2.08 a gallon.  Add to that the fact that I'll get reimbursed for my new glasses from my medical reimbursement account here at work, it was a great evening. 

No comments: