Thursday, March 10, 2005

Flu You

I think I can safely say that we've all gotten mad and told someone "screw you."  Some of us have probably went a step farther and used the Mother of cuss words.  I've heard saintly people who would never say a cross word to the devil himself get mad and blurt out "screw you."  We hear it on TV and in the movies all the time, and we hear it at work and school.  I don't need to go into detail and discuss the actual implications of "screw you" - we all know what it means.  But it seems to me, if you're mad at someone and really want to get them, you need to hit them where it hurts.  The next time someone really hacks me off, I'm going to tell them "Flu you."

Right now, I think everybody you talk to has or had the flu. I don't think I've ever seen so many people sick before in all my life.  Today in our factory, we have 3 supervisors out with the flu.  One has been out for over two weeks, and will probably be out for two more since it's gone into pneumonia.  Our receptionist was out for a week and a half with it, too.  Fortunately for me and my family, we're healthy and haven't had anything other than head cold that lasted just a few days.  Ordinarily, I would have been the first to get sick.  I guess my daily Centrum and bee pollen have been helping.  Others aren't as fortunate.  When someone walks down the hall by our cubicle and they're hacking and sneezing, as soon as they walk away, I'll go out and spray the area with Lysol.  I guess it's helped, too, because my cubicle cohabitants haven't been sick, either.  But with as widespread and as bad as this year's flu is, I think it would be the worst thing you could wish on someone.  I'd be hesitant to wish it on my worst enemy.  But if you feel you must verbally put someone in their place, go ahead - tell them "flu you."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been talking Airborne.........at the first sign of sniffles, or anything.........and knock on wood, been real lucky.............

Anonymous said...

I agree, more people have had the flu this year than I can recall in recent years.  A major pet peave of mine is when people mistake a common cold for the flu.  It always amazes me when people call in sick to work with the flu and then they are back the next day.  Now I'm no doctor of course, but folks, the flu means fever, chills, weakness, body aches and it's going to put you down for at least a week, probably more.  

So let's save "Flu You" for our real enemies!