Wednesday, March 9, 2005

It Happened

I was raped by OPEC yesterday afternoon.  It was not a sexual nor violent rape -- I was raped at the Marathon gas station at 16th and Broadway.  I was meeting my fellow Diva after work downtown, and had a few minutes to kill so I decided to get gas.  I was on E, and would need it before the trip back home any way, so I thought I'd get it before we hooked up.  Let me preface by saying there aren't alot of gas stations in downtown Louisville.  In fact, I think there's only one, at 1st and Jefferson Street.  I knew there had to be some convenience stores on the outskirts of downtown so I headed down Broadway.  I found one, all right.  The sign said $2.05 for the cheap unleaded.  I blinked, thinking I might have been seeing a mirage or something.  When I looked again, it still said $2.05.  As I said, I needed gas so I had to just suck it up.  For the record, let me say that this is the first time I've paid over $2 a gallon for gas since the 1981 oil crisis.  But then, I drove a 79 VW Rabbit, that got about 87 miles a gallon, so I didn't mind it as much then.  Now that I have an SUV and a 12 cylinder car, I notice it a bit more.  Especially in the BMW.  Thirty-four dollars and eighty cents later, the Blazer had a full tank of gas. That translates to 16.9 gallons.

I've heard some people say "I only put a few dollars in when it's expensive."  That's all well and good, if you drive less than you normally do.  But you still need gas to get to and from work, and to the store, etc.  So unless you want to start walking or ride a bike every where, I guess we'll all just have to suck it up and fork over the money.  In reality, this gas increase was only about a dime more per gallon, so I guess I got off cheap; in recent months, the price has jumped up as much as a quarter.  Whoopee.  Boy, that sure eases the pain. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try not to worry about the gas prices, namely because you've gotta have it.  For me, the best way is not to even look at the prices.  I just roll in and get $20 worth.  Sure, sometimes that goes a lot farther than other times, but that's just part of it.

Anonymous said...

I know you cussed while you were filling up.  Bet you wish you still had the old Rabbit, don't you?  
Don't mean to pour salt into your open wound, but I filled up yesterday at Krogers for $1.84 -- it was $1.94 and got 10 cents off per gallon for spending over $100 on groceries.  This morning on the way to work it was $2.15.  We feel the same pain as you, Puddin.