Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy Birthday, Nancy Wilson

TWIT would like to say happy birthday to rock and roll icon Nancy Wilson.  Nancy and her sister Ann are the founders of the rock group Heart.  Nancy turns 50 today.  And she can still rock with the younger ones. 

To me, Nancy Wilson is an icon because she was the first woman in rock and roll to play the guitar.  Until Nancy's group Heart came along, the closest thing rock and roll had to a woman guitar player was Joan Baez or Joni Mitchell playing folk songs on their acoustic guitars.  Sure, rock had awesome women singers in bands -- Janis Joplin and Grace Slick to name a couple -- but Nancy was the first to play the electric guitar.  Nancy Wilson is the reason I learned to play the guitar. 

It was the summer of 1976.  We were out in California on vacation, and my cousin and his wife took me to one of the California Jam concerts.  It was truly a life-changing experience.  They introduced Heart and they came out on stage and I was awestruck -- there on the stage was a young woman playing the electric guitar.  Not some folk guitar - she was playing a Gibson Les Paul electric guitar.  And she was tearing it up.  And there next to her on stage, was another womanm, her sister, belting out "Crazy On You."  I had an epiphany.  At that moment, I knew that playing the guitar was what I wanted to do.  As soon as we got back home from vacation, I got Dad's guitar and a "Country Hits of the 60's" book and taught myself to play. Interestingly enough, the first song I learned to play on the guitar was "Stand By Your Man,"  followed by Heart's "Crazy On You."  The first guitar I bought was an Ovation acoustic just like Nancy played.

I've spoken to other women that play the guitar, and they, too, say that Nancy Wilson was their biggest musical influence.  I just wonder if Nancy ever thinks about all of the young women back in the 1970's that she inspired to become guitar players?  We owe her a huge debt of thanks.  Happy birthday, Nancy.  You rock. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love their All I want to do is Make Love to You............Me Fav!

Anonymous said...

They have an acoustic, slower version of "All I Wanna Do . . . " and it's awesome.  It's kinda sad that with all of the big hits they had, alot of which are considered rock and roll classics, they only had one song make it to #1 on the Billboard charts -- it was "These Dreams" -- one of the few songs where Nancy sang the lead.

Anonymous said...

When I think of all the jam sessions we had in my basement, circa 1980...blasting Heart records and you rocking out on the guitar....man, that was fun!  Happy Birthday, Nancy...Rock On, Sister!

Anonymous said...

weefry78 I want to wish Nancy a Happy Birthday and many more!!!   I wanted you to know that as a 15yrs old     teenager I just loved you and Ann, and I want to learn how to play but mom says it's silly. but I know she is wrong. you see I was in school when I got sick with a disease it'is called systemic sclerosis and causes alot of pain, and my fingers are crooked & knotted up.  I guess she feels I will never  be able to play anyway you are the best  rocker chic I have ever seen and truly blessed with so much talent Ann to.  I love to watch you play   you and ann are HEART    and you rock rawk ladies         weefry78@aol.com    LORI