Wednesday, March 2, 2005

Ice Ice Baby

Today had every indication of being an extremely happy Wednesday.  First of all, I brought an awesome Cobb salad for lunch.  I've been jonesing for this salad for two weeks. I grabbed a friend after work and we went downtown to our new Hard Rock Cafe just so I could get this salad.  Yes, it's that good, folks.  When I got to work this morning, my boss was over in our cubicle and she gave us a box of Little Debbie Easter brownies AND a box of Easter zebra cakes.  They happen to be my two favorite Little Debbie snack cakes.  Just when I thought the day couldn't possibly get any better, it did.  A co-worker called and said that he had Krispy Kreme's in his office and invited our department for a doughnut.  What luck I was having today - I should have left right then and bought a lottery ticket.

Lunchtime draws near, and I can't wait to eat my Cobb salad and Little Debbie cakes.  I brought a box of raspberry tea, and put a tea bag in a cup of hot water to let it steep for a few minutes. Then I would add ice to it for a nice glass of raspberry tea to wash down my delicasies. I went back to the lunchroom and poured the cup of hot tea into my very cool 1960s Tupperware glass, and went to the refrigerator to get some ice from dispenser on the door.  One cube came out.  About the size of my pinkie. I tried again a couple of times, to no avail.  I even opened the freezer and took out the huge container for the ice, only to find nothing but shavings in there.  Not to worry. There is usually at least 2 or 3 bags of ice in the bottom of the freezer.  Not today.  I shook my head in disbelief, and dragged my tired ass upstairs to the 2nd floor lunchroom for a glass of ice.  The tea was good, so I'll admit it was worth it. 

A good friend and I were discussing this and discovered a few oxymorons about this place.  Bags of ice, a very hot commodity at ZCO, are kept out in the factory lunchroom in a huge freezer with a huge padlock on it. Yes, you heard me right; ice is kept under lock and key here at ZCO.  Yet someone could theoretically walk out of here unnoticed with a $1000 pump.  My friend pointed out how the keys to all of the company cars/SUVs are kept in an old wooden salad bowl (again, yes, you heard me right) in the Purchasing manager's office, where anyone could walk in and grab a set of keys and drive off unnoticed, while $3 t-shirts are kept hidden away in a locked room in the farthest corner of the ZCO complex. It makes no sense.

No comments: