Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Huh?

I'm first to admit that I'm far from being an officer with the Grammar Police.  But I've been in school enough to know what's right and what's wrong. I also know what is a real word and what is a non-word.  Here's my favorite non-words that I hear repeatedly at work. For confusing words,  I've even used the word in a sentence so you get the right context.

1. simular  - - "These two items are simular in size."

2. nucular - -  (borrowed from George W. Bush) "Do you think the north Koreans really have all of those nucular weapons?"

3. holt  - - "I got holt of some NASCAR tickets."

4. dispensation - - This has nothing to do with asking for forgiveness from the Catholic church.  This is a word native to ZCO. There's a term we use in our returned goods department called "disposition".  Simply put, when an item is returned here, it's inspected, and the item's disposition is entered into the computer - meaning, what was wrong with it. One of the IT bigwigs uses "dispensation" instead of "disposition" and now others use it, too. It drives me crazy.

5. orientated - - I'm not real sure what this person was trying to convey. "I got the part orientated on the table."

6. in my personal opinion - - the last time I checked, "my" is as personal as you can get. 

7. Gatlinsburg - - "We're going to rent a cabin at Gatlinsburg."

8. Illinoiz - - "They sure get a lot of snow up in Illinoiz."

9. copastetic - - I think they mean "copasetic".  "Everything is just copastetic."

10. angioplastic - - "My mother-in-law had a heart attack and now they have to do angioplastic."

11. itch - - "This bug bite is driving me crazy.  I've got to itch my leg."

No comments: