Friday, March 18, 2005

I May Never Leave The House

As most of you know, I don't enjoy going to the movie theaters.  But I do love my digital cable.  I especially enjoy the old shows like "Big Valley", "Green Acres", and "The Beverly Hillbillies".  You can turn on the TV at any time of the day or night, and chances are you can find at least one cable channel showing Andy Griffith.  Even though I don't go to the movies, I watch alot of movies on the [many $$$] movie channels that I get.  In addition to the movies, I'm a faithful viewer of a few of the Showtime Original Series.  They're kinda like soap operas, in that they're a serial.  But unlike the soaps, if you miss a weekly episode of  Showtime Original Series, you miss out on quite a bit. I missed the Sunday night episode of a Showtime Original Series, and forgot to tape the replay on Wednesday night.  I was bummed.  I checked the Showtime website for the schedule, and saw that it was available on Showtime On Demand.  As much as I enjoy my cable, I thought I'd call Insight and get that added to my cable package; it shouldn't be more than four or five bucks extra a month.  Here's a transcript of my phone call to Insight Communications and the conversation between me and the customer service representative:

Insight CSR: Thank you for calling Insight Communications.  How may I help you?
Me: I would like to add Showtime On Demand to my cable package.  Could you tell me how much extra it will be a month?
Insight CSR:  You already have Showtime On Damand, as well as HBO On Demand AND Cinamax On Demand.  There is no extra charge - it's included as part of your digital package. Was there anything else I could help you with today?
Me: Uhhhhh, no, thank you. 

After I got over my initial reaction of feeling like a fool, I almost did the happy dance.  I told a few people about it, and they were, like, "Oh yeah, didn't you know that?"  Helloooo.  If I knew it, do you think I would have called Insight and asked about it?" Anyhoo.  I'm thrilled to death knowing that I have the On Demand channels.  As soon as I got in from work last night, I ran to the living room and started playing with the remote and taped a few things.  This is almost as thrilling as when I got my Insight broadband internet connection last month.  I may never leave the house now. 

No comments: