Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Spending of the Green

My BMW has been in the shop for a week and a half getting it's yearly check-up and maintenance.  Last Thursday was St. Patrick's Day, the day for the wearing of the green; yesterday when I got the car back, it was the day for the spending of the green.  I got by with having to pay only $636.  I was thrilled.  If I could do a cartwheel, I would have done one in the AutoMotion parking lot.  After talking to a guy that works in the plant who also has a 750, I was expecting it to be about a grand.  The repairs weren't anything major, thank goodness - just minor things, but they add up.  Besides getting an oil change, and servicing the transmission and differential, they flushed the brake lines and the radiator, replaced some fuses, and fixed a power steering fluid leak.  The most expensive repair was tracking down a short in the a/c system.  They fixed the short, pumped it full of freon and guaranteed that it would be a freezer on wheels.  I told them I would be the judge of that. 

Now that I've given you TMI (too much information) about the intimate details of my BMW's annual maintenance, here's a look at my car in terms of numbers:

12   cylinders
9.5  quarts of oil to fill it up
2     mufflers
26   gallon gas tank
3     windshield washer fluid resevoirs
3     heating and a/c controls in the interior
9     heat and a/c vents
9     cd's in the cd changer
24   FM stations that can be programmed
7     pounds of freon to fully charge the a/c system
4.5  quarts of transmission fluid to fill it up
210 highest mph reading on the speedometer

No comments: