Friday, January 28, 2011

Flashback Friday

It's hard to believe that 25 years ago today, the world watched the Challenger disaster. I only heard one person at work mention it today; probably because the majority of my coworkers were only little kids when it happened. But to me, it was the equivalent of when JFK was shot. I distinctly remember where I was when it happened. Today is Dad's birthday, and 25 years ago me, the 'Rents and my cousin and aunt (who were visiting from California) were at Tumbleweed celebrating Dad's birthday. We had just gotten our drinks and were standing the bar watching the shuttle lift off. Then just seconds into the flight we saw the horrific explosion. My beer mug, along with a few others, dropped to the floor. We couldn't believe what we were seeing. Looking back, it has to be the same way my Mom felt when she was watching the Today Show on the morning of 9/11.

Up until this flight, we all had such faith and confidence that our space program was safe. It's been 25 years and somehow I don't think people really remember that day back in 1986. For me and my family, I know that we always will.

2 comments:

shivakrishnamoorthi said...

I like your thinking. --- skm

Toots said...

I was at work that morning. Remember a coworker heard it on the radio and was running around telling everyone.